How to Join
The application process to volunteer for the Windcrest Fire Department is as follows:
**Applications can be obtained from the Windcrest Fire Department Administrative Offices located inside Windcrest City Hall at 8601 Midcrown Drive, Windcrest, TX 78239**
As a volunteer with the Windcrest Fire Department, you have access to some of the newest equipment and apparatus, progressive tactics and best professional development available.
The Fire Department puts all personnel through the training to obtain their Texas Commission on Fire Protection Basic Structural Firefighter, and the EMT-Basic national and state certifications.
Under HB 2604, volunteer firefighters are eligible for tuition exemption at select state colleges and universities. You can read more about the tuition exemption program here.
The City of Windcrest also pays in to a volunteer pension plan that is administered by the Texas Emergency Services Retirement System (TESRS). This program provides a lifetime pension after your vesting period has been met.
Every Windcrest Firefighter, whether volunteer or paid, is given a $400 yearly uniform allowance after the completion of your probationary year.
- 0-3 Months - Firefighter Cadet
- During this time, the cadet is working on the completion of their task books for both fire and medical
- This is required to be completed in 3 months, with the possibility of one 3-month extension if deemed necessary
- 3-12 Months - Probationary Firefighter
- During this time, the cadet phase has been successfully completed and the probationary firefighter is scheduled for the online portion of their in-house fire academy
- The probationary firefighter is now able to stay overnight and pull shifts with the on-duty crews
- 12 months+
- After successful completion of the above timeline, you are now considered a full member of the department and eligible for outside training opportunities.
- At this point, you will be scheduled for the completion of your EMT-Basic certification course through the department
- You are now also eligible for membership in the Windcrest Volunteer Fire Association